The Cry of the Hangman

Pub Date 2 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 15 Feb 2022
Canongate Books, Severn House

Talking about this book? Use #TheCryoftheHangman #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Murder always sells. But when a series of dark and puzzling crimes takes place in seventeenth-century London, will printer’s apprentice Lucy Campion be publishing the news – or starring in it?

London, 1667. Printer’s apprentice Lucy Campion is unsettled when, on a frozen December morning after church, an elderly woman dressed in mourning clothes whispers an ominous warning in her ear.

Lucy sternly tells herself it’s nonsense, but then her much-loved former master, Magistrate Hargrave, is viciously attacked with a brass hourglass during a break-in. But what exactly was the intruder searching for? And why did they first stop to steal a piece of Cook’s lamb and lentil pie?

The puzzling case is just the start of a series of dark, bizarre crimes. Lucy’s determined to uncover the truth and see that justice is done. But someone is equally determined to stop her – whatever it takes.

This page-turning historical mystery set in Renaissance London is a great choice for readers who like their heroines lively, their mysteries twisty and their historical settings brimming with authenticity.

...

A Note From the Publisher

We will consider requests from established bloggers, Acquisition and Collection Development Public Librarians and booksellers in the UK and USA. For Goodreads and Amazon reviewers, we will take into consideration your NetGalley Feedback history.

Send To Kindle (MOBI)

This is truly an excellent novel! I have read the other books in the series and this lastest addition is just as good if not better than the others. It’s expertly written with such vivid prose and great historical detail. Lucy is both a likable and relatable character. The mystery itself is interesting and contains lots of twists and turns dispersed throughout the novel. I relished every moment of this novel and highly recommend!

A compelling Restoration mystery set in London with lots of twists and turns taking place among the very competitive world of urban book printing and peopled with some very fiendish and pitiless pamphleteers holding lots of big venomous grudges, some very dangerous blackmail shenanigans and violent murderous intents to keep the reader on the edge of his or her seat for a few hours.... A magnificent 17th century tapestry of a great city still dealing with the disturbing wounds left by the plague and the Great Fire that wreaked its world at the beginning of the 1660s and teeming with a vast and wonderful cast of higly colorful but often very sinister characters and great and fascinating historical details. The delicious Lucy Campion Mystery series keeps getting better with each new episode and Ms Calkins keeps dazzling me with her magnificent prose and rollicking imagination! I simply can't wait for the next installment👍👍 Historical fiction at its best that truly deserves to be enjoyed without any moderation whatsoever! Many thanks to Netgalley and Canongate/Severn for giving me the opportunity to read this wonderful novel prior to its release date.